We are searching data for your request:
Rabbit fever in Lower Saxony
Peine. According to the Veterinary Institute in Hanover, the so-called rabbit plague in the Lower Saxony district of Peine has now been identified after swine and bird flu. The pathogen could be detected beyond doubt when the animal was sent in.
Rabbit plague has been detected in the Peine region. The Veterinary Institute in Hanover identified the pathogen of the so-called "tularemia" in a field hare sent in. The pathogen can also be transmitted to humans and is therefore subject to notification. Most patients become infected primarily through direct skin contact with the diseased animal. In addition to this transmission route, stinging insects can also transmit the infectious disease to humans. Infected patients usually suffer from high fever, abdominal pain, tonsillitis, splenic disease and pneumonia.
The district of Peine is classified as particularly at risk. Hunters would now have to wear a face mask and gloves, with insect sprays to avoid insect bites. Around 1,000 hunters are active in the Peiner Revieren, as Karl-Heinz Thiele from the district hunters told the radio station NDR 1. The above-mentioned utensils are now standard equipment for everyone.
Rabbit plague rare in Germany
According to the official of the Keyserlingk Institute for Veterinary Medicine in Hanover, von Keyserlingk, there is currently no need to panic. The disease occurs only rarely in Germany, while outbreaks occasionally occur in other European countries. There is a very large rabbit population in the vicinity of Peine. If a few animals are infected, it is quite normal. The transmission to humans only occurs in extremely rare individual cases. Anyone who finds an infected animal should nevertheless avoid contact and inform the responsible authorities. Every deceased rabbit should then be sent to the institute in Hanover by the responsible authorities. There the rabbits have been examined for rabbit plague regardless of suspicion for a good 5 years.
Tularemia mostly fatal to animals
Rabbit fever is a contagious bacterial disease that is often fatal to the animal and is caused by the “Francisella tularensis” germ. Because the symptoms of the plague are similar and the disease often affects rabbits and wild rabbits, it is also known as rabbit plague. Other names for tularemia include rodent plague, lemming fever, Parinaud disease and stag fly fever. Infected people are treated conventionally with antibiotics. (sb)
Image: Grey59 / pixelio.de