We are searching data for your request:
US doctors almost removed the organs from a living woman
In a US clinic, doctors would almost have made an almost unbelievable mistake. A woman, who was already declared brain dead, from whom the organs were to be removed, opened her eyes shortly before the operation. As the newspaper "The Post-Standard" reports, the incident occurred in 2009, but was initially not pursued despite the scandalous process. Only after the newspaper had started its own research did the clinic begin to look for an explanation.
The doctors at St. Joseph Hospital in Syracuse, New York, made numerous mistakes in the treatment and examination of the patient, which eventually resulted in the organs being almost removed from her body, according to a report from the State Health Department initiated investigation. When the 41-year-old woman in the operating room opened her eyes shortly before the organs were removed, the doctors were also shocked, according to their own statements. At the end of 2012, the hospital was fined for treatment errors. The patient concerned will no longer benefit from this. She committed suicide 16 months after the incident.
The supposedly dead woman opened her eyes in the operating room. In 2009, the patient with an overdose was taken to the clinic in the city of Syracuse. The doctors came relatively quickly to the assessment that brain death had already occurred in the woman. They informed the parents of this and received consent to donate or remove organs. After all the preparations had been made and the patient was already in the operating room, she suddenly opened her eye. The operation was stopped at the last second and the patient was released from the hospital some time later. However, the severely depressed woman committed suicide 16 months after the incident.
Chain of numerous medical errors The deceased mother told the US newspaper that neither she nor her daughter had been upset about the incident and had therefore not filed a lawsuit. "She was so depressed that it really made no difference to her," quotes "The Post-Standard" the mother's statement. However, the state health department and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as the competent health authorities have initiated an investigation into the incident on their own initiative. This comes to the conclusion that a scandalous chain of errors has occurred at St. Joseph Hospital. Initially, the patient had received no treatment to prevent the drugs - Xanax, Benadryl and a muscle relaxant - from being absorbed by her stomach and intestines. Nor would there have been sufficient tests later to check whether there were any drugs in the woman's body or whether the coma could be due to them.
Signs of life of the patient were ignored. Furthermore, according to the health authorities' investigations, the 41-year-old patient did not have enough brain scans to clearly identify brain death. Therefore, the doctors believed that the woman was already brain dead, even though she had actually put the overdose in a coma. The result of a reflex test that a nurse carried out on the patient's foot the day before the planned organ removal and was positive was not enough Attention paid. In addition, the woman had shown a movement of the nostrils on the way to the operating room, which indicated that she was breathing independently of the ventilator. At the same time, her lips and tongue moved. However, the nurse's observations were simply ignored.
Allegedly brain-dead patient received sedative It also seems inexplicable why the doctors gave the woman a sedative before the procedure, when she was supposedly already brain-dead. The health authorities' investigations showed that she was given a strong sedative without an entry in the medical records. Professor Dr. told the US newspaper David Mayer of New York Medical College said the use of a sedative was rather strange. The sedative used sedates the patient to a point where they stop responding. "But if you have to sedate patients or give them painkillers, they are not brain dead and their organs should not be removed"; Mayer emphasized. (fp)
Image: Instinktknipser / pixelio.de