Mold: Discard whole portions of berries



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Mold - Discard whole portions of berries if there are signs

Freshly bought and moldy tomorrow. While noble cultures made from cheese are harmless, unwanted mold on fruit can harm health. Some types of mold form toxic metabolic products - so-called mycotoxins. In the long term, they can damage the liver or kidneys - but only if those affected are permanently exposed to these substances. The toxins also increase the risk of certain types of cancer. "Mycotoxins can neither be removed by cooking nor by freezing," says Antje Gahl, nutritionist at the German Nutrition Society (DGE). Buyers should make sure that they carefully store the fruit in their shopping bag during transport.

Squashed fruit can quickly become rotten and moldy in the heat. As soon as mold can be seen on individual berries, consumers should no longer eat the whole portion, as harmful spores are found on all fruits. The initiative “Too good for the bin!” of the Federal Ministry of Consumer Affairs.

So that not too many berries end up in the garbage, it should be transported first on the purchased goods. At home, you should immediately pour them into a flat bowl and keep them in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. However, they generally do not last longer than two to three days. It is best to consume them on the day of shopping. (fr)

Image:

Author and source information


Video: How to keep strawberries fresh for longer


Previous Article

Women reject botox

Next Article

Risk of injury: winery recalls wine